Perth Road, Scone, looking North East, 1903

The view shows the Perth-Aberdeen road cutting through the centre of New Scone with shops and houses to the left, the Abbey Church tower in the distance and a horse-drawn bus en route to Perth.

At the time of the photograph the village of New Scone had been built almost entirely in the 19th century. The nearest market town was Perth. The first horse drawn buses arrived in Scone during the second half of the 19th century. Using two or three horses, they worked between Scone and Cherrybank, Perth. They were taken over by the Perth and District Tramways Company in the 1890's. The original Abbey Church in New Scone was demolished and replaced by the red sandstone church shown in the picture. This church was dedicated in 1887.

  • Material/Medium: gelatin dry plate negative
  • Date: <1903
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wm. Niven, Luncarty
  • Accession number: W0008
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Perth Road,Scone,Perthshire,Scotland,shops,church