Marshall Place, Perth, 1903

Marshall Place, Perth, looking West towards St Leonards in the Fields church, 1903

The view shows Marshall Place, Perth from the junction of Princes Street and Edinburgh Road, with St Leonards in the Fields Church in the middle distance and the South Inch on the left.

The architect of St Leonards in the Fields Church, with its crown spire was J J Stevenson of Bayswater, London. It was built in 1885 in the late Scots Gothic Revival architectural style and is of exceptional merit. Numbers 1 - 28 in Marshall Place were designed by the architect Robert Reid and built from 1801, they were still under construction in the 1820's. The attic window 'lunettes' are distinctive. The street was named after the Perth provost Thomas Hay Marshall.

  • Material/Medium: gelatin dry plate negative
  • Date: c.1903
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Thomas Spence, Craigie Rd
  • Accession number: W0048
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Marshall Place,Perth,Perthshire,Scotland,St Leonards in the Fields Church