The Sqaure, Aberfeldy, 1903

View of the Square, Aberfeldy, with men, women and children milling around and a horse and cart. Aberfeldy grew because of its position at a crossing point on the River Tay. In 1887 it became a police burgh. The square which was laid out in 1806, is at the heart of the town.

Left to right: the light coloured building is the Breadalbane Arms Hotel, proprietor Alexander Nicol, next to that is Gibsons cycle shop, next to that is the Commercial Bank built 1885-6, and next to that, in the corner, is the 19th century Congregational Church. The foundation stone of the church was laid in 1877 and the congregation moved here in 1878 from the original chapel in Chapel Street.

  • Material/Medium: gelatin dry plate negative
  • Date: c.1903
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
  • Accession number: W0075
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: The Sqaure,Aberfeldy,Perthshire,Scotland,shops,people,horse and cart,Breadalbane Arms Hotel,Commercial Bank,Aberfeldy Congregational Church