Spittalfield, Perthshire, about 1903

View of the village of Spittalfield looking down the road towards the green in the middle distance. A horse and carriage being loaded up in the centre of the road.

Spittalfield was developed to alleviate the depression after the 1745 rebellion. The old village of Redgoll had died and Spittalfield was built from 1766 as a weaving village apparently taking its name from the English centre of weaving, Spittalfields. The square plan village is centred on the Muckle Hoose, the old linen weighing and marking house which is dated 1767.

  • Material/Medium: gelatin dry plate negative
  • Date: c.1903
  • Creator: n/a
  • Accession number: W0079
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Spittalfield,Perthshire,Scotland,village,horse and cart