Perth from Edinburgh Road with Moncreiffe Island and the River Tay
A distant view of Perth and the River Tay from Edinburgh Road showing the former Toll House in the foreground and the railway line running to Perth Station. The photograph also shows Perth Harbour in the middle distance and the prison to its left.
The Tollhouse at 79 Edinburgh Road is early 19th century in date. The original prison was built 1810 - 1812 as a depot for 7,000 French prisoners-of-war at a cost of £130,000. It had five three-storey halls set on a polygonal-ended plan around central offices and a chimney tower. The tidal basin and quay were built at Friarton in the 1840's.
- Material/Medium: wet collodion plate negative
- Date: c.1860-1897
- Creator: Magnus Jackson Photographer. Later acquired by John K. Taylor and sold to Wood and Son Printers, Perth for postcard use.
- Accession number: W0149
- Category: Photography
- Subject: Perth,Perthshire,Scotland,River Tay,Moncreiffe Island