Fountain and market cross, Errol
View of the market cross and drinking fountain in the square at Errol in the Carse of Gowrie. Errol village was still largely populated by farm workers and weavers at the end of the 19th century but it had its own post office, bank branch, two inns, a gasworks, two schools and a library.
Fairs used to be held in the square in July and October each year. The impressive market cross and fountain is made of polished red granite and was built in 1900. In fact, it is a drinking fountain erected to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1897. In the background are early 19th century three-storey tenements with tall roofs and broad chimneys. The windows under the eaves indicate that the rooms were used as weavers work-shops.
- Material/Medium: n/a
- Date: c.1903
- Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from John K. Taylor, High Street
- Accession number: W0167
- Category: Photography
- Subject: Mercat Cross,Errol,Perthshire,Scotland,village,water fountain