Bridge of Earn, Perthshire
View of Bridge of Earn with the railway line in the foreground and Main Street running away into the distance.
The first houses to be built in Bridge of Earn date from about 1770 and the first houses to be built in Main Street date from 1832. The village was developed to accommodate visitors keen to drink the spa waters of nearby Pitkeathly Wells. In 1845 the Edinburgh and Northern Railway Company began to construct a railway line from Burntisland Pier to Perth via Cupar. The route used the Friarton Tunnel which was constructed by the Scottish Central Railway Company. As many as 8,873 men were employed on the building of the Burntisland to Perth line. The original entrance to the Bridge of Earn Station was at Sealsbank and cottages were built there for railway workers, but when the Perth-Edinburgh line via Glenfarg was built in the 1880s the station was moved so that it could serve both lines.
- Material/Medium: n/a
- Date: c.1903
- Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
- Accession number: W0193
- Category: Photography
- Subject: Bridge of Earn,Perthshire,Scotland,railway