Pitkeathly Wells, looking West towards the Ochil hills

View of Pitkeathly Wells, Bridge of Earn showing the Wellhouse on the left.

In 1784 the Pitkeathly estate was sold to John Grant, a former Chief Justice of Jamaica. He turned the Wells into a Spa by building a bath house. In 1814 a medical officer stationed in Perth prison published a book on the mineral waters of Pitkeathly and Dunbarney and a horse drawn coach travelled daily from Perth to Pitkeathly. By 1859 a pavilion had been built which sold water over the counter and by 1886 the spa was very busy; every available room in the district being occupied by visitors. Reid and Donald of Perth leased the Wells from this period. Towards the end of the 19th century the popularity of the Wells began to decline. Pitkeathly Mineral Water Company leased the Spa and built a factory next to it producing mineral water, lemonade and other soft drinks. Schweppes took over the tenancy in 1911 but plans to develop the Spa were shelved due to the outbreak of the First World War.

  • Material/Medium: n/a
  • Date: c.1903
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
  • Accession number: W0198
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Pitkeath;ly Wells,Bridge of Earn,Perthshire,Scotland