View of Drummond's drapery business in Glenfarg, known as the Glenfarg Emporium, about 1903. In fact, the village of Glenfarg was known as Damhead until the end of the 19th century. The Great North Road from Edinburgh to Perth and the north dominated the village and there was substantial passing trade. At the time of the New Statistical Account in 1842 Damhead had a population of just 122. It was the arrival of the railway in 1890 which really transformed the old fermtoun of Damhead into a thriving village with four hotels.
This is the business of T Drummond and Company, Tailors and Drapers. The business was also an agent for Campbell's Dyeworks in Perth and functioned as a general store where you could make a telephone call and buy cigarettes. The building was erected in 1853.
- Material/Medium: n/a
- Date: c.1903
- Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
- Accession number: W0209
- Category: Photography
- Subject: T. Drummond & Co.,Main Street,Glenfarg,Perthshire,Scotland