Dunkeld Street, Aberfeldy

View of Dunkeld Street, Aberfeldy at the junction of Stewarts Place, with people on the pavements and in the roadway.

Aberfeldy grew and prospered because of its strategic position at a crossing point on the River Tay. In 1887 it became a police burgh and commissioners were elected locally to be responsible for lighting, cleaning, paving, draining, supplying water and promoting public health. With the Town Councils Act of 1900 the Commissioners became 'Councillors'. The first trains reached Aberfeldy on the Highland Railway branch line from Ballinluig in 1865. The only reminder of the station is in the Station Hotel in Dunkeld Street. On the corner of Dunkeld Street and Moness Terrace a handsome red sandstone showroom was built for Haggart, tweed manufacturer, in 1899. The business in the first building on the left is that of James Wilson, clothier.

  • Material/Medium: n/a
  • Date: c.1903
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
  • Accession number: W0211
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Dunkeld Street,Aberfeldy,Perthshire,Scotland,shops,people