Dalguise House

Dalguise House lies on the north side of the settlement of Dalguise, 4 miles (6 km) north northwest of Dunkeld. Located amongst 20 ha (50 acres) of parkland, construction of the house began in 1714, but was not completed until 1753. A Neo-Gothic tower was added at the rear in 1885.

Between the years of 1871 and 1881, Dalguise was rented by Rupert Potter as a summer retreat for his family, which included Beatrix Potter (1866 - 1943), author and illustrator of children's books such as The Tale of Peter Rabbit. The house served as a hospital for wounded soldiers during the First World War and as a garrison for the Scottish Horse during the World War II. In 1950, Dalguise was bought by the Scottish Association of the Boys Clubs using money gifted by South Africa in recognition of the efforts of the British people during the war. The house was purchased by children's adventure holiday provider PGL Travel Ltd. in 1992, adding to their portfolio of more than thirty properties across the UK, France and Spain. The company is named after Peter Gordon Lawrence who founded it in the 1950s. It now provides residential accommodation in dormitories both in the main house and in lodges which have been built in the grounds. The grounds comprise formal gardens and shrubberies, lawns and mature woodland.

  • Material/Medium: n/a
  • Date: c.1903
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
  • Accession number: W0223
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Dalguise House,Dalguise,PErthshire,Scotland,house,garden