Freeland House, Forgandenny
Freeland was the former home of the Ruthven family whom, in the early 1800’s, held extensive landed property in Perthshire. They remained until 1873. It was acquired by Mr Collingwood Lindsay Wood, a coal baron, who spent a large sum improving and beautifying the property until it was looked upon as one of finest and best-managed estates in South Perthshire. After he died in 1906 the estate remained with his widow but eventually was deemed surplus to requirement. At auction it was bought by Mr E.M. Stewart who kept it for just two years. In 1920 Freeland House and its grounds were bought by Mr Harry Riley who relocated the Strathallan School here. It became a public school in 1935 and remains to this day; Freeland House being the main building on the much-altered site.
- Material/Medium: n/a
- Date: c.1903
- Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
- Accession number: W0232
- Category: Photography
- Subject: Freeland House,Forgandenny,Perthshire,Scotland,Strathallan School