Moncreiffe Island and Perth, from Barnhill
View of Perth from Barnhill showing the former Caledonian Railway line across the railway bridge, allotments on Moncrieffe Island and the Rotunda Waterworks at the end of the railway bridge. In the distance are Victoria Bridge and Perth Bridge. In the foreground are the Barnhill railway sidings.
The railways first reached Perth in 1847 with the Dundee - Perth line which ended at Barnhill. The first railway bridge across the Tay at Perth was built of wood about 1849. This was replaced by the current bridge in 1862. The dome at the end of the railway bridge is Perth former waterworks designed in 1832 by Adam Anderson. Water was drawn from the River Tay at Moncreiffe Island and pumped by steam engine into the domed cast iron cistern. The Victoria Bridge was built in 1900 and replaced by Queen's Bridge in 1960. Perth Bridge was designed by John Smeaton and built 1766 - 72. It replaced previous bridges which stood at the east end of High Street.
- Material/Medium: n/a
- Date: c.1904
- Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from A. Mackenzie, Scott Street
- Accession number: W0238
- Category: Photography
- Subject: Moncreiffe Island,Perth,Perthshire,Scotland,River Tay,railway bridge,train,allotments