Cottages at Forgandenny

The view shows houses and a roadway in the village of Forgandenny, Perthshire. Men are lined up watching the photographer.

Forgandenny was built as an estate village to house workers and servants for Freeland House. It was built on the approach to the House. Originally there were 18th century houses here, built of brick and thatch. The roofs in this photograph are all tiled and in 1963, at the time of the Third Statistical Account, only one thatched roof remained. They were replaced between about 1820 and 1900. Freeland House was built in the mid 18th century. In 1919 its site was converted for the relocated Strathallan School, the estate was broken up and many of the tenants became freehold farmers.

  • Material/Medium: n/a
  • Date: c.1904
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
  • Accession number: W0247
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Forgandenny,Perthshire,Scotland,cottages,people,bicycle