Meikleour Village Square, Perthshire
View of Meikleour with the village cross in the centre of the photograph and Meikleour Hotel to the right. Although Meikleour was a centre for local fairs and markets, by 1839 there was a population here of only 200.
The cross, which was fourth on the pilgrim route from Brechin to Dunkeld, dates to 1698. It is a carved stone column decorated with stars and crosses and it replaced an earlier cross. Royal proclamations were read form it until the middle of the 19th century and the public whipping post and jougs stand nearby. Meikleour Hotel dates to 1820 and has tall off set chimneys and a log-columned porch. Meikleour is in the Parish of Caputh where this hotel was one of 9 public houses in all.
- Material/Medium: n/a
- Date: c.1904
- Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
- Accession number: W0255
- Category: Photography
- Subject: Meikleour,Perthshire,Scotland,mercat cross,houses,people