Kinclaven ferry and service bridge

The view shows the twin-hulled ferry boat and wooden service bridge with crane at Kinclaven, Perthshire. The ferry was about a mile from the church and by the end of the 18th century it was very busy having three ferry boats; one for foot-passengers, one for horses and another for carriages. There was also an inn on the Kinclaven side of the river which travellers could use.

By 1843 there were just 2 boatmen in the parish. About 1840 a new road was laid, running through the northern side of the parish joining the ferry to the Perth - Caputh road. The Kinclaven ferry was driven by a chain, 136 yards long and even which fully loaded, could make the passage across the river in five minutes. A stone bridge was finally built at Kinclaven over the River Tay in 1905 at a cost of £6,300. When this bridge was opened, the ferry ceased to exist.

  • Material/Medium: n/a
  • Date: c.1904
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
  • Accession number: W0259
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Kinclaven Ferry,Kinclaven,Perthshire,Scotland,River Tay,ferry,bridge,river