Inchyra House, Perthshire

View of the exterior frontage of Inchyra House, Glencarse with horses, carriage and groom waiting by the entrance door. The house was built about 1810, possibly the architect was James Gillespie (Graham).

Inchyra was a harbour on the River Tay and since the main means of transport between Dundee and Perth, in the 19th century was by river this explains why the settlement developed. Inchyra House was built for David Anderson, an Edinburgh lawyer. It has a classic Grecian style with its pairs of Tuscan columns flanking the main entrance.

  • Material/Medium: n/a
  • Date: c.1904
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
  • Accession number: W0261
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Inchyra House,Glencarse,Perthshire,Scotland,house,horse and cart,people