Caputh village

View of the village of Caputh, Perthshire. The name may be derived from 'Keppoch' and in turn from the Gaelic 'Ceapach' meaning a garden. It may also be derived from the Gaelic 'keapoch' meaning a flood plain or decayed wood. The village was originally called Wester Caputh.

By 1839 there was a population of 250 in Caputh. Dunkeld was the nearest market town and also the nearest post town. Post was taken to Dunkeld by a daily runner from nearby Delvine House. Caputh itself had a chain driven ferry which operated across the River Tay and gave access to Perth by Stanley.

  • Material/Medium: n/a
  • Date: c.1904
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
  • Accession number: W0290
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Caputh,Perthshire,Scotland,village,houses,cart,people