Crieff High Street looking West

View of the High Street, Crieff looking towards James Square and the Drummond Arms Hotel, about 1904. Taken from the Town Hall. James Square was laid out in 1899 with the Murray Fountain, completed in 1894. The street lamps were known as the'Jubilee' lamps because they marked Queen Victoria's Jubilee and were erected in 1899.

Crieff is an ancient settlement but was burned by the Jacobite army in 1715 and was rebuilt from the 18th century onwards. The Drummond Arms which preceded this building was used for County Assemblies and Balls where the famous fiddler Neil Gow played and where Bonnie Prince Charlie held a stormy Council of War in 1746. In James Square, across from the Drummond Arms, there is the Murray Fountain erected by the people of Crieff in recognition of the family of Murray of Ochtertyre.

  • Material/Medium: n/a
  • Date: c.1904
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
  • Accession number: W0342
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: High Street,Crieff,Perthshire,Scotland,shops,people,children,horse and cart