Drummond Street, Comrie

View of Drummond Street, Comrie, about 1904, a boy stands with milk pails on the right, a baby sits in the pram and a horse and cart disappears down the road. Comrie is named from the Gaelic word 'conhruith' which means the confluence of streams. Comrie grew at the confluence of the Lednock, the water of Ruchill and the River Earn.

Comrie is famous for its earthquakes. Lying on the Highland Fault it has more recorded tremors than anywhere else in Britain. Drummond Street was laid out in a linear plan by James Drummond of Strageath and most of it was built between 1782 and 1800.

  • Material/Medium: n/a
  • Date: c.1904
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
  • Accession number: W0357
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Drummond Street,Comrie,Perthshire,Scotland,town,horse and cart,shops,dogs,people