The Drummond Arms, St Fillans

A view of St Fillans, about 1904, with the Drummond Arms Hotel on the left, on the banks of Loch Earn. St Fillans has been considered the prettiest of all Scottish villages and was a renowned beauty spot well before this photograph was taken. It is at the eastern end of Loch Earn and stretches along the main road with only a few houses on the small side streets. Loch Earn runs to the right of the photograph.

In 1838 St Fillans had a population of 197 the 18th century village was known as Port of Lochearn but was refounded as St Fillans in 1817 by Lord Gwydyr. The Drummond Arms Hotel was built about 1872. Its architect was Andrew Heiton (Junior).

  • Material/Medium: n/a
  • Date: c.1904
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
  • Accession number: W0360
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Drummond Arms,St Fillans,Perthshire,Scotland,hotel,people,cottages