St. Fillans looking North
A view of St Fillans, Perthshire, about 1904, with a line of houses on the left and washing hung on lines on the bank across the road. A cyclist cycles along the centre of the road. The village is set in glorious scenery at the eastern end of Loch Earn, 10 miles west of Crieff..
The 18th Century village here was originally called Port of Lochearn. It was renamed St Fillans in 1817 by Lord Gwydyr who had married the heiress to the Drummond Estate which owned the land. St Fillans is named after an Irish Celtic missionary. St Fillans is a long village which stretches along the main road. Tourism has long been a source of income for local people, because of the scenery of the Loch and the surrounding hills.
- Material/Medium: n/a
- Date: c.1904
- Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
- Accession number: W0361
- Category: Photography
- Subject: St Fillans,Perthshire,Scotland,cottages,cyclist,people