Gilmerton, Crieff

A view of the village of Gilmerton, 2 miles east of Crieff, Perthshire, about 1904. The road bending to the right is the main Perth-Crieff road along which the village developed. The road to the left strikes northwards to the Sma' Glen.

The village was largely 19th century and built at the junction of the toll road between Perth and Crieff, and General Wade's road through the Sma'Glen to Aberfeldy which was built during the first half of the 18th century. Wade's road, begun in 1726, was constructed by 500 soldiers who were each paid sixpence extra a day for their work. The former Free Church at Gilmerton was built in 1869 on land from the Cultoquhey estate. The feu duty was a single white rose.

  • Material/Medium: n/a
  • Date: c.1904
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
  • Accession number: W0373
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Gilmerton,Perthshire,Scotland,houses,people,horse and cart,cyclist