Moulin looking North towards Ben Vrackie

A view of the village of Moulin, Perthshire, about 1904. Moulin is 1 mile north of Pitlochry. The biggest building in Moulin is the Moulin Hotel which dates in part from the early 1700's although this is not visible on the photograph. Beyond the trees are the tower and windows of Moulin Parish Church.

Moulin Parish Church is just behind the trees. It was originally built about 1830-1831 on the site of an earlier foundation. The church, its buttresses, windows and tower were all rebuilt by James Campbell Walker after a fire in 1873. Moulin lies on ground called the Howe of Moulin, fertile enough to have been known as the Garden of Atholl. The name Moulin may have come from the Gaelic magh linne meaning "field by the pool."

  • Material/Medium: n/a
  • Date: c.1904
  • Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Gardiner Photographer, Pitlochry
  • Accession number: W0385
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: Moulin,Perthshire,Scotland,Ben Vrackie,village