St Fillans looking North towards Creag Liath
A distant view of St Fillans, Perthshire, about 1904, showing the village in its context by the loch and below the hills. The large and distinctive building to the right is the Drummond Arms Hotel. St Fillans is at the eastern end of Loch Earn, 10 miles west of Crieff. The 18th century village here was originally called Port of Lochearn.
Port of Lochearn was renamed St Fillans in 1817 by Lord Gwydyr who had married Clementina Drummond, the heiress to the Drummond Estate which owned the land. St Fillans is named after an Irish Celtic missionary. The Drummond Arms Hotel was built about 1872. Its architect was Andrew Heiton Jr. who designed the distinctive Italianate tower.
- Material/Medium: n/a
- Date: c.1904
- Creator: Wood & Son Printers, Perth, purchased from Wylie, Keir Street
- Accession number: W0389
- Category: Photography
- Subject: St Fillans,Perthshire,Scotland,Loch Earn,Creag Liath