Banner Hall, Taymouth Castle

A photograph of the Banner Hall in Taymouth Castle taken between 1860 and 1890. The Banner Hall was built to link the main castle block to the west pavilion and was designed by Gillespie Graham, between 1838 and 1842. Queen Victoria visited Lord Breadalbane here in 1842, when the interiors were completed by Frederick and J G Crace of London, including the reproduction suits of armour. Taymouth Castle was built in 1806-10 by Archibald and James Elliot for the 4th Earl of Breadalbane. It was enlarged in 1818-21 and 1827-28 by William Atkinson and again in 1838-42 by James Gillespie Graham. Taymouth Castle succeeded Sir Colin Campbell's z-plan Balloch Castle built in the 1580's.

  • Material/Medium: Wet Collodion glass plate negative
  • Date: c1860-1890
  • Creator: Magnus Jackson
  • Accession number: MJ3747
  • Category: Photography
  • Subject: n/a