The Dome, Botanic Gardens, Glasgow
When Fergusson and Morris returned to Scotland on the outbreak of World War II they settled at 4 Clouston Street in Glasgow. The flat doubled as Fergusson's studio and from its windows he had impressive views over the Botanic Gardens. This subsequently became a favourite artistic haunt.
There are a number of watercolour studies relating to this small but important late oil painting. In it Fergusson treats the subject afresh in a series of simple, sculptural volumes. The distinctive domed building is the Kibble Palace, a recognisable landmark both then and now.
On his death in 1961 Fergusson left the largest collection of his works in existence to his partner, Margaret Morris (1891-1980). In 1963 she established the JD Fergusson Art Foundation, who subsequently gifted the entire collection, archive and copyright to Perth and Kinross District Council in November 1991.
- Material/Medium: oil paint on canvas
- Date: 1953
- Creator: John Duncan Fergusson (1874-1961)
- Accession number: 1992.297
- Category: Fine Art
- Subject: n/a