House with Tower
Fergusson returned to France between 1925 and 1939. Although based in Paris for the majority of the time, he travelled south to Cap d' Antibes each year and often accompanied Margaret Morris to the locations of her Summer Schools. This small study may well have been made during one of them.
A number of small panels executed outdoors appear to date from the 1920's. Recalling his earliest working methods, the warmer climate perhaps rekindled his interests in this method. There is however a new discipline in the application of drier paint and a tighter, more structured approach to composition.
On his death in 1961 Fergusson left the largest collection of his works in existence to his partner, Margaret Morris (1891-1980). In 1963 she established the JD Fergusson Art Foundation, who subsequently gifted the entire collection, archive and copyright to Perth and Kinross District Council in November 1991.
- Material/Medium: oil paint on panel
- Date: n/a
- Creator: John Duncan Fergusson (1874-1961)
- Accession number: 1992.333
- Category: Fine Art
- Subject: n/a